Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Great moments in workplace safety

We had a big workshop on Occupational Health and Safety issues at work today. Senior management were all in attendance to show how seriously they all take OH&S (despite the fact they cram too many of us into cubicles that are too small). I was helping out the presenter by cleaning the whiteboard at the start of the presentation.

Maybe I rubbed the board a bit vigorously but whatever the reason, the fucking thing came off the wall, bounced off my head and hit the floor with an ominous crash, barely missing my toes. I wasn't hurt (it was only my head) but it was startling to say the least.

Considering I was almost killed while setting up a safety seminar, does this qualify as irony? Or is it bad timing? Or possibly even just plain funny. Judging from the laughter from the audience, there was a popular vote for funny.

Oh, except for the management types. They were sitting with an external safety auditor. They didn't laugh at all.

No comments: