Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas shopping

I'm having a small Christmas this year - I only have to buy presents for about half a dozen people. I come from a big family so if I happen to be having a family reunion type of Christmas that easily turns into a 30-40 present nightmare.

But the trouble with not having to buy many presents is a was lulled into a false sense of security. My complacency means I'm approaching Christmas Eve having done NO shopping. None. Zilch. Nada. My worst effort ever.

I've been spending extra time with my kids this week which has been great but it also means I haven't been able to dedicate any time to shopping. I thought I'd make a late rally tonight by going to the huge mall a couple of suburbs away that's having 24 hour trading. I waited until nearly midnight in the hope it would be relatively quiet.

It seemed like a good idea but the line for parking started about a kilometre away from the fucking mall! I turned around and came home. There's no way I'm putting up with that shit. Having to search for parking for an hour then dealing with huge crowds of desperate people does not mesh with my temperament.

There would have been blood on the walls.

This is going to require some creativity tomorrow. I wonder what people would think of handmade gifts hastily put together from twigs and leaves?

No comments: