Sunday, December 16, 2007

Leaving YouTube

Every now and then someone declares they're going to leave YouTube or at least take a break. There are many and varied reasons people give and, hey, what ever is a valid reason to you is a good reason. But what really pisses me off is when someone does a completely self-indulgent grab for attention so everyone will go "Oh no, don't leave, YouTube won't be the same without you - You're the heart and soul of YouTube."

You know what? There are a lot of reasons to get the shits with YouTube. Hell, if you enter "YouTube sucks" into Google you'll find my blog. And a couple of times when people have said they couldn't take certain aspects of YT any more I've encouraged them to take a break and if it ever felt right, come back when they were ready.

But I have no time at all for drama queens who throw a hissy fit because things don't work the way they want them to. They aren't getting the attention they feel they deserve so they throw a tantrum. The message these people send out is clear: you'd better tell me you love me! I'm standing on this ledge and I really mean it! I'll jump! This isn't just some self-indulgent grandstanding to get everyone's attention. I really, really mean it. I'm going to jump!

This post and the attached video are not about any one person, there are too many of these fucking idiots to name. But just for a laugh I'll tell you two people it's NOT about: TheHill88 and JustA11en. Only YouTube tragics like me will know those names.

TheHill88 (Caitlin) has announced she'll be retiring TheHill88 at the end of the year. She said it without drama and gives every indication of making a sincere decision. I got to talk to her at the Sydney YT launch party and she seems to be doing absolutely the right thing. For her. Everyone else needs to deal with it.

JustA11en (Allen) recently took a break. He needed time to think about what it really meant to be on YT and whether all the stupid shit was worth the effort. In his own time he decided to come back stronger than ever. But he didn't throw a hissy fit!

In simple terms, if you were planning to drop out of YT, either permanently or for a break, your regular viewers would want to know why. But this "me me me me me" bullshit pisses me off! So I needed to get my frustration out of my system the best way I know how. And I'm wearing my mask in this video - that's how you can tell how angry I am!


http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsUr1hgQmrE

No comments: