Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I already hated spammers, but this guy...

I really hate spammers. The types who are running botnets are scum. I don't have to worry about that too much on this blog, thanks to the magic of Akismet. But then there's YouTube. It's all but overrun with spam. I can't work out why the company (Google) that has a product with one of the best spam filters (Gmail) also has a product with one of the most fucked (YouTube).

The deluge of anonymous spam on YT really pisses me off, it feels like I have to deal with as many spam as I do legitimate comments. Usually these take the form of comments on videos but occasionally they spill over into YT's "email" message system. I got one last night that made me just about blow a fuse. Seriously. Even by my standards I was fucking pissed off.

The message proclaimed the wonderful news that YT meetup gifts were now available. Now, as I have made clear here, I am one of the people organising the YT meetups in Australia. So to receive a spam exhorting me to buy some really shitty t-shirts to "promote" the gatherings pissed me off mightily. The blatantly misleading nature of the spam (which many people have received) makes it sounds like this is official apparel.

Lines like "T-shirts for the YT Meetup Dec. 1 in Melbourne OZ are now available" are deliberately designed to sound official while giving the scum-sucking weasel wiggle room to say "I never explicitly claimed they were official t-shirts." I know this is actually a small example of exactly how depraved people can be in the pursuit of money but still... this motherfucker is doing it to me! He's trying to profit from my work while contributing nothing in return. So I retaliated in the only way I could:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdItaml2Ms

This piece of shit had better hope I never find him.

No comments: