Saturday, August 26, 2006

Help, they've stolen my creativity!

Anyone who's read this blog for a while will know that I've got a fairly liberal attitude towards content linking and re-use AND I've had some complete scumbag straight up steal my work and provide no credit back. The scumbags in question particularly pissed me off because they reproduced one of my posts in total, didn't even suggest it wasn't theirs and had a site full of ads. In other words, they were making money off my work and offering me nothing in return, not even a tip of the hat.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's worth losing too much sleep over the sort of prick who would do this. At this point in time, my biggest concern is getting my work seen. If someone manages to popularise my work while making it clear that it's my work I'll be happy even if they make money off it and don't share it with me. If they're better at publicity than me, that's how they're paying me. If they try and pretend my work is theirs (and therefore don't give me publicity) I'll be pissed off but it's still relatively easy to prove it's my work if they make it popular - after all they can't steal it until after I publish it.

This video put forward my case that people who are getting really uptight about (for example) their Flickr photos being used on other people's websites should calm the fuck down:



Of course you should feel free to distribute this video far and wide if you so choose. Here's the Revver URL:

http://revver.com/video/52447/20579

No comments: