Sunday, August 20, 2006

How to make yourself angry

Most of the time, my posts on this blog are detailing how the rest of the world pisses me off. Sometimes, however, I have to admit I'm my own worst enemy. Like last night for instance. It being Saturday I decided I had no need to rush with my daily blog post. I wrote half of it in the afternoon and saved it as a draft. I had agreed to babysit on Saturday night and my plan was to finish the post after the little ones had gone to bed.

The slight twist to the plan was that I wasn't babysitting in my own place. I didn't think this would be an issues as there was a computer and internet connection where I was babysitting. But not my computer. On my computer, I have saved my login details on both Blogger and Wordpress so I don't have to enter my user name and password each time I go to the sites. Which means I don't have to remember what they are.

Which mean, when push came to shove I couldn't remember what they were. If I could have gone home this wouldn't have been an issue but of course I couldn't go home because I was looking after sleeping children (all the same I seriously considered it.) For a full hour I was agonising over all my usual permutations for user names and passwords. I do have some "standard" combinations but I decided a while ago it was unwise to use the same combinations for all my web services. All it would take is one slip on my part or one malicious employee at one of the services to unravel my whole world.

Pat on the back for me: I have good security protocols.

Kick in the nuts for me: I should have some way of remembering the dozen or so logins I have.

Well obviously the story had a happy ending, I got my daily update posted and maintained my record of not missing a day since the start of the blog. Right when I was about to give up I remembered I had started using Blogger before I started the Mr Angry blog and the user name related to that first, short-lived blog, not Mr Angry.

You might think I'm angry most of the time, but if anybody in the street made me as angry as I made myself last night, I'd kick their fucking teeth in.

No comments: