Monday, January 22, 2007

400 posts down - where am I going now?

Long time readers will know I'm a big fan of arbitrary milestones and I'm celebrating another one now. While I was on holidays, the automated Angrymotron3000 (tm) pushed this blog past 400 posts. At each of my previous 100 post milestones I've set myself a goal to reach in the next 100. Each time I've ended up meeting the goal even when it was a "stretch" goal like the last one - getting paid (thanks to The Fizz on 101/DirecTV).

My 500th post should happen at around the same time as my one year anniversary (the end of March) so I think I need to set myself one big motherfuckin' hairy-ass audacious goal for this one. The thing is, I've been thinking about this for a while and there's only one goal that makes sense to me now: turn this stuff into a professional gig and quit my day job.

Maybe this is wussing out but I don't think aiming to quit my day job in the next couple of months is a viable goal. What I want is to have a concrete plan in place to reach the goal of turning all of these shenanigans into a paying gig. There are a number of ways to pursue this and at this point, I have to admit, I don't think I'm going to end up being a "professional blogger".

I think they most likely path to success is to convert what I'm doing through this blog and YouTube into money via another medium. I know this isn't very Web 2.0 but I do think it's realistic. Plus, here's a little tip about all this "Web 2.0" hoo-ha: most of it is unmitigated bullshit. If I'm ever going to make money out of my writing and/or performing it's most likely to be in the form of publishing a book, writing for a magazine or newspaper, or working in TV or film. Or possibly stand-up comedy. But nobody makes money doing stand-up comedy so fuck that.

The last month or so has been my most unfocused time since starting this blog but the holiday's over now. Besides getting into gear for my plan I promise to check in with every else's blogs more regularly now too. Because that's what it's all about - without the support of all my regular readers and commenters I'd be nowhere so it's only fair I return the favour. Stay tuned for further development and. of course, a whole lot more angriness.

No comments: