Monday, February 26, 2007

Digg this

I've decided to experiment with a "Digg this" button now that Wordpress have made it easy to add a little widget. I've been toying with the idea of adding buttons for the various news/social bookmarking sites like Digg, Reddit, del.icio.us etc. but essentially I could never be bothered to add the code to the template. Plus, I'm not absolutely convinced this is an unequivocally good idea.

After all, I already have top shelf readers. While adding a "Digg" button might generate large amounts of traffic it isn't necessarily high quality traffic. It's always possible that the pool of fabulousness that exists here now would be intolerably diluted by an influx from Digg. By the way, this is a social experiment to see how susceptible you all are to flattery. Flattery always works on me so I thought it might get my readers too.

I'm not going to put the code for the button on every post, I'll probably limit it to the technology related posts (ostensibly the main focus of Digg). When I do it, you'll see an icon at the bottom of post that looks like this:

digg

If you click on it, this boosts my ranking on Digg thus gaining more of the fame that my shallow soul craves so desperately. This only works if you are already registered and logged in to Digg.com so run off and do that now if you want to help make me fabulously famous.

Like I said, I'll probably only be putting the code on technology related posts but if I happen to post something that you think should get more widespread attention then let me know. Considering the primary Digg audience, it would help if you think the post would be interesting to young geeky males.

No comments: