Thursday, February 01, 2007

Time to polish my re-org boots

I'm greeted at work today by the wonderful news that there's going to be a company wide re-organisation (AKA the re-org... a popular buzzword) and the structure of my department is going to be upended somewhat. Most of the announcement falls into the "like I give a shit" category but the one thing pushing Mr Angry into angry territory is I'll have to move desks.

Again.

This will be my sixth desk move and fourth building move in just over a year. It's made less of a pain because in this case it's a good idea. But piled up on all of last years moves (which were pretty fucking pointless) it's more than a tad aggravating. The lofty email communication regarding the move made me think of some old Dilbert cartoons.

When the boss says this is all about "alignment... focus... delivering value..." I get the urge to say "Is this an admission that all previous re-orgs were a complete fucking disaster and utter wastes of time? And why should we expect this one to be any different?"

But I don't say that. Not at work anyway. That's what is known in the trade as a "career limiting move." And that's why I keep this blog anonymous.

No comments: