Saturday, March 24, 2007

The history of Blurred Vision

The video I posted last night had its genesis almost 20 years ago. Way back in 1989 I wrote, produced and performed some comedy for a local radio station, JJJ. Among the comedic gems I produced were a couple of spots for "Blurred Vision", born out of annoyance with people who thought if they had a walk around the park on a Sunday afternoon they were saving the world.

I updated the concept for the video I just made to give it a Mr Angry flavour and I may well do a few more Blurred Vision spots as I have a few more of my old scripts. One reason I have a soft spot for these old Blurred Vision scripts is they got me my first complaint. That feels really special. This was back in the day mind you, no speedy one line emails or instant messages back then. This person took the time to type up a letter and fax it in to the radio station.

That really felt like a significant personal achievement. In this video I tell the story of that complaint and read it from the original fax which I have saved since 1989. Seriously, it's that important to me. Then I go off on a bit of a tangent about the level of hate flying around YouTube right now. I get pretty angry. Watch it if you like that sort of thing.

No comments: