Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Quandary

When I started this whole blogging lark, I didn't know how well it would go or how much I would enjoy it. I'm within a few weeks of my one year anniversary now and I think it's fair to say I've been far more successful than I dared hope and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

While this is all well and good, the quandary it places me in is that the more interesting and enjoyable blogging becomes, the more boring work becomes in comparison. This may seem to be neither surprising nor a particularly big problem but to do my job well I need to be quite engaged mentally. I have a recurring problem in meetings or even sitting at my desk where I totally zone out while thinking thoughts along the lines of:

"Wow, this is boring. It would be way more interesting to be blogging or making videos. I wonder what I can write about next. Wait, was he talking to me? He's looking at me like he expects me to say something intelligent. Oh crap."

So I've found something that really engages me and makes me feel rewarded but pays me close enough to nothing (gettin' paid by the Fizz though - woohoo!) Then I have a day job that pays well but hardly inspires me. This wouldn't feel like a quandary if I didn't feel a sense of commitment to the people I work with/for. They treat me quite well and I'd feel pretty bad if I didn't do the right thing by them and, you know, do my job properly.

They want me to stay until the end of the year which could work out quite well. I might have saved enough money to take a few months off work by then or, better still, have lined up some sort of deal where I can make a living doing silly things online. Even a modest living would be fine.

So in the meantime I just have to make sure I don't act too bored at work.

No comments: