Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What a disappointment

Further to my rant yesterday about YouTube's shortcomings, I have noticed there are two types of failings that seem to make people particularly angry.

One is the case that I mentioned yesterday, namely, when someone seems capable of great things but falls painfully short of the standards you expect of them. They may be achieving higher than 99% of the population but because you placed such high expectations on them (rightly or wrongly) you end up really disappointed with their failure to achieve.

A second one I've noticed is when you see yourself in someone else's failings. I know I do this myself and based on my observations, other people do it too. I'm not sure what it is but I definitely have a tendency to get more angry with someone when they're doing something that I know is one of my bad habits. The thought process goes something like this:

"That person really pisses me off...

"I do that as well...

"I hate being reminded of what a fuck-up I am...

"Man, fuck other people! Like I give a shit about what anyone else thinks...

"HEY DICKHEAD, WAKE THE FUCK UP TO YOURSELF"

Or maybe I'm the only one who's this neurotic. Does anyone else react this way?

No comments: