Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's official: YouTube hates ordinary users

Fuck YouTube.

I think I've said that before. But the way YouTube ordinary users just makes me so fucking angry. And they seem to be getting worse. They don't fix basic flaws, like the fact their commenting system is fucked. They ignore the fact that all their measurement metrics (most viewed, highest rated, most comments) are routinely and blatantly scammed. And they continue to offer almost no communication to users.

And don't get me started on their choices for featured videos! Actually, get me started. Then you'll see all my complaints are in fact driven by my ego. Being featured is a guarantee of massive exposure. And holy crap, they choose to feature some utter shit. I may not make the greatest videos in the world but without exaggeration, mine are better than 80-90% of what gets featured.

It's bad enough when they feature stupid fucking animal videos (not even good animal videos - most of them are boring.) But they have a habit of featuring videos that are outright insults to the majority of users. At least twice they've featured videos that did nothing but humiliate other users. And the way they attacked others wasn't even particularly funny. And in the last week they've featured two high profile users (going by the names of LittleLoca and LisaNova) which is essentially a colossal "fuck you" to ordinary users.

First, they're already high profile, they don't need the fucking exposure. Second, they're both notorious for gaming the system, fraudulently boosting their viewing statistics and/or spamming other users. And it was made worse by LizaNova's video essentially being a wacky and crazy joke about how everyone's pissed off at her for spamming. It's OK YouTube, we get the message. You fucking hate us.

So you know what? I've decided caring about this shit is a waste of time. Tell us we're worthless pieces of shit in your eyes, YouTube. That's fine. You're running a big business. Why should you give a shit about us. So I'll just take what I can get. The free hosting of videos is pretty good. And you never know, I might still get "discovered" despite being ignored by YouTube for more than a year.

Besides, I'm having fun. I've been asked many times over the last year by YouTube viewers if I'd give up if I didn't get "famous". My answer's always been no, I'll quit when I stop having fun. So fuck you YouTube. You piss me and millions of others off and you couldn't care less. Fine by me. I can enjoy myself despite your best/worst efforts.

No comments: