Tuesday, July 03, 2007

This blog has multiple personality disorder

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this blog has multiple personality disorder. It's the blog that has the problem, by the way, not me. The fact that I treat the blog as a separate entity rather than simply something I write is not an indication of a mental disorder.

There's the general reason I started the blog, to vent about stupid shit that makes me angry. Then there's the times I write about work issues in a more serious way (with less swearing). Then there's the time I respond to world events in an at least slightly serious way. And the times I respond to world events in an utterly frivolous and childish way. And, of course, the videos.

There are times when I think I should be more consistent. Or at least more coherent. Then I remember that no bastard is paying me for this. That tends to justify my idea that "this blog is about whatever the fuck I want it to be about." Subject to change without notice.

Sometimes I think I should take the easy way out. Or at least what would be the easy way for me. That would be to spend my time always writing pieces in response to current events. The main reason I don't do that is because this is what I see as the biggest weakness of the blogosphere. Namely, the vast majority of blogs are about commenting on what is being done elsewhere.

I want to be the one other people are writing about dammit!

So there you go, I don't have multiple personality disorder. That's the blog's problem. I have Narcissistic personality disorder.

1 comment:

Brad Hackman said...

"There are times when I think I should be more consistent. Or at least more coherent. Then I remember that no bastard is paying me for this. That tends to justify my idea that "this blog is about whatever the fuck I want it to be about." Subject to change without notice."

precisely...