Friday, July 27, 2007

Who remembers SkatKat?

This what I do when I'm bored. For those who have no idea who SkatKat was/is, he was an animated cat used to push a novelty "rap" album in the 80s. He even did a song and video with Paula Abdul. But like all one-hit wonders, he fell hard and he fell far. This is the sad tale of his life today. Featuring the crappest animation ever.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcbZH-363g

As I said, I was bored. The other night I was trying to think of what to do for a video and I wanted to do something different. I was toying with various ideas about doing a cartoon when I remembered a piece of audio I had on my hard drive. Way back when I did some videos promoting the 2007 Melbourne Comedy Festival (click the link at the top of the page to see them in all their glory) I recorded some stuff Tommy Dassalo wanted to use in his show, "The Third Guy".

One of the pieces was a short monologue performed by the show's director, Adrian Calear. He plays the rather sad and desperate SkatKat you hear in the above video. I swear I wasn't drunk, but I thought it would be a good idea to make it into a video.

I chopped up some pieces of the SkatKat/Paula Abdul video and did the god-awful animation of a couple of still images. I think I might use this video to submit a job application to Pixar. I'm sure they could use the laugh.

No comments: