Saturday, June 03, 2006

100 Posts - Where to now?

Anybody who's been reading this blog for a while knows how self-indulgent I am so it should be no surprise that I take time in my 1ooth post to get all self-reflective and think about... me. It's taken me less than three months to get this far (first post on Blogger was March 23rd) but I'm still looking forward to maintaining my original goal of posting at least once every day for a year. One thing I don't think I've ever shared is why I actually started the blog.

The character of Mr Angry (yes, it's a character, I'm not really like this - well, not completely) was originally an idea for a standup performance. I had written some material and was getting ready to try it out on some open mike nights when I started to think a blog might be a lower-risk way to get some feedback on whether or not the material was actually funny. Then I found what looked like a reverse goatse picture in the local paper - something that absolutely cried out to be in a blog. So this was what sealed the deal for me; a chance to inflict my sick humour on the world demanded I start a blog. The fact that nobody apart from me seemed to find the goatse picture funny is an ongoing tragedy in my life.

I used up the first batch of material by halfway through April so I've had to come up with something new every day since then. The funny thing is I've has very little trouble coming up with that new material each day. If I didn't have such good feedback going on with readers I'd probably give up but so long as y'all keep commenting, I'll keep writing. The twist is, I've been so focused on the blog I haven't had a chance to think about rehearsing any live performance. I'm feeling comfortable enough with the blog I might actually start converting some of the crowd favourites into a standup routine. I'll be sure and let you know what happens if I ever get around to it.

The other things about the blog that has changed as I have continued along is that I am not as scared of failure as I used to be. In the early stages I was a wuss. The posts were really short, I was doling out my stored content in constant fear that I'd run out of things to blog. I wouldn't post more than once a day because that would be a waste, I should save it for tomorrow. If I was smart, I'd be writing material in advance now but I guess I work better under pressure. Also, I have come to the conclusion that the world is even more fucked up than I thought when I started - I'm never going to run out of material.

One thing I know for sure, writing is definitely what I want to do for a living. I sort of do that now as a BA but not in the way I really want to. I can get paid quite well as an IT contractor, so it's very seductive to give up "dreams" in favour of the comparatively easy money. I think by the end of one year I can work out how to parlay my blog writing into filthy lucre. So save up your pennies, because as soon as I work out how I'm going to be hoovering your wallets dry.

Hmmmm, I'm getting a vision... Mr Angry - The Movie. The feel good hit of the year. Watch out for it. Step one to this goal: I have broadband now, maybe I should podcast. Would anybody be interested in a Mr Angry podcast?

4 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Oh, I think Mr Angry podcast would be a hoot! Do let us know when you start. I have to admit I don't read all your posts but I do get a kick out of the ones I read.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! You've made it to 100. And good luck in all your endevours, be it making money, movies or comedy. Or a combination of all three of course.

Mr Angry said...

mooncrazy: thanks :) the angry police will be around later to force you to read all my posts

michelle: thanks to you as well. For now continued bloggin is my goal, we'll see what develops.

Mr Angry said...

Thanks Ruse, stay tuned for updates.